Common cold is something we have to go through at least once a year. Consumers are going to buy several treatments at a time, hoping it will help to relieve the discomfort. Congestion is almost always a symptom and it is usually the problem which makes sickness unbearable. Interestingly enough, even with all the nasal decongestants on the market, a hot shower is often one of the best things to do to relive a stuffy nose or chest. Do you want a steamy shower to become even more effective? Use basic household ingredients and some essential oils, vapor tablets are easy to make at home, and make it a little more bearable to get sick.
Vick’s Vapor Rub came out many years ago with a tablet shower product, the idea was that this tablet would be dissolved by the steam in the tub, and the vapors would help you breathe easier. Such tablets can be difficult to find now, but fortunately there are many ways to make them yourself. Cheap and simple to find ingredients and it takes only a few quick steps to start battling your cold!
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/3 cup of water
- Eucalyptus oil, lavender oil, and rosemary oil – 15 drops each
- Alternate ingredient: vapor rub
- Optional: peppermint oil
- Muffin tin with liners or ice cube tray
Essential oils are usually easy to find in any drug or health food store. They are relatively cheap and they will last for a while — a little goes a long way! Eucalyptus oil is known to be a decongestant and anti-inflammatory, among many other uses. Lavender oil will help you relax and may even improve sleep, crucial for recovery. The rosemary oil will ease any anxieties and pains that come with being sick. The three together represent the ideal mix of cold-fighting. A few drops of peppermint oil can be added for cooling purpose. If you don’t have any oils on hand, you can use 2-3 tablespoons of a vapor rub of your choice (depending on how solid you would like the shower tablets to be), it would usually contain at least one or two of the essential oil ingredients.
How to make them:
1. Combine water and baking powder in a mixing bowl until a thick paste is formed. It should stick to the back of your spoon. (If using vapor rub instead of essential oils, warm the water and dissolve it first before adding the baking soda).
2. Add the essential oils and gently mix.
3. Line the muffin tin with liners or use an ice cube tray, then spoon the mixture into the cups evenly
4. For best results, allow to air dry for 12-18 hours on the counter. If in a hurry, bake in the muffin tin at 225°F for 25 minutes. Once dry, store in an airtight container.
5. Drop in a hot shower and enjoy!